Bathtub Materials to Consider When Renovating a Bathroom in Your Home in Carlsbad, CA
There are a variety of bathtub materials you may be able to choose from when you upgrade a bathtub in your home in Carlsbad, California. Before you make a purchase, consider the pros and cons of the following materials:
- Fiberglass – These tubs are lightweight, inexpensive, and easy to install. Plus, they come with a coating that can easily be repaired. However, fiberglass tubs are usually not very durable.
- Cast iron – This material is extremely durable, and tubs made of cast iron usually come with a thick enamel coating that is resistant to chipping. As it’s made of metal, a cast iron tub may hold heat better than a tub made from other materials. The downside is that a cast iron bathtub is extremely heavy and may require significant renovations to your home in Carlsbad, CA, including extra floor reinforcement.
- Wood – You can custom-order a bathtub made of teak, walnut, or another hardwood that is coated in a waterproof finish. The main appeal of wooden tubs is that they’re stunning and unique. However, they tend to be extremely pricey.
- Porcelain-coated steel – These tubs are made of a stamped steel that has been finished with a layer of porcelain enamel, which retains its glossy sheen for a long time, making the bathtub easy to clean. However, these tubs aren’t easy to customize and tend to come in a very limited range of shapes and sizes.
- Acrylic – Tubs made of this material are affordable and easy to install, though their durability varies from brand to brand. Certain high-grade acrylic materials tend to be more durable than fiberglass or cheaper acrylic materials. Acrylic tends to be the best all-around choice.
Which bathtub material you ultimately choose will likely depend on your budget and priorities. There’s a certain appeal to having a luxury bathtub made of expensive wood or metal, but most people are perfectly happy with a tub made of common, affordable materials, like acrylic, fiberglass, or porcelain-coated steel. It is possible, after all, to find a bathtub made of a durable acrylic. Reborn Bath Solutions, for example, installs tubs and showers made of high-grade, 100% virgin acrylic that won’t crack, peel, or chip and that is infused with anti-microbial protection so it resists mold and mildew growth.