Single-hung and double-hung windows are two of the most popular window styles available. With their classic aesthetic and easy operation, they work well in just about any room and any home. Plus, each offers great ventilation, allowing people to open them up on beautiful days to feel a breeze. While single-hung and double-hung windows have a lot of similarities, there is one key feature that sets them apart.
The difference between single-hung and double-hung windows is their operable sashes. The sash is the part of the window that holds the glass panes together. It is situated inside the window frame. In a single-hung window, only the bottom sash is operable; it can be pushed up to enjoy the breeze. In a double-hung window, both sashes are operable. The bottom sash can be pushed up and the top sash can be pushed down, allowing for different levels of ventilation.
How Other Window Styles Operate
Single-hung and double-hung windows aren’t the only window styles with sashes that open to offer ventilation. For example:
- Casement windows have a sash that opens outward, similar to that of a swinging door, using a crank mechanism.
- Sliding windows have a sash that slides along a horizontal track to open and close, mimicking the functionality of sliding patio doors.
- Awning windows have a sash that opens up to create an awning-like area over the window (hence the name!) and are operated with a crank mechanism, like casement windows.
Bay windows typically have a combination of double-hung or casement windows flanking a large picture window (which is inoperable). Bow windows often feature three to five operable windows to provide a unique look and plenty of ventilation.
Turn to Reborn Home Solutions for Single-Hung Windows, Double-Hung Windows & More
If you’re ready to upgrade your home with new windows, the pros at Reborn Home Solutions can help. We install our own line of vinyl replacement windows, ViewMax Windows, which come in a wide range of styles—including single-hung and double-hung styles! Our windows feature:
- Impressive durability – Made with premium vinyl frames that offer unparalleled strength, our windows won’t chip, crack, peel, crack, or warp.
- Enhanced energy efficiency – These days, energy-efficient windows are a must-have. We’ve crafted our windows with features such as multi-pane glass, Low-E glass coatings, insulated frames, and more to deliver a high level of energy efficiency.
- Easy maintenance – You won’t need to worry about constant upkeep with our windows. They are low maintenance and will retain their great appearance for decades.
Our windows are always installed by factory-certified technicians who are committed to delivering detail-oriented service. They will take great care to install your windows precisely while working efficiently to complete the job in a timely manner. What’s more, we’re so confident in our windows and our installation work that we proudly offer a lifetime warranty on both.
Get in Touch
If you’d like to learn more about our single-hung and double-hung windows, or any of the other window styles we install, contact Reborn Home Solutions today. We’ll be happy to schedule a complimentary consultation at your convenience.